Tom Hogan is the Chester County District Attorney. Elected in 2011, Mr. Hogan is the chief law enforcement officer in Chester County. He is responsible for coordinating the investigation and prosecution of all crimes in Chester County and keeping over 500,000 Chester County residents safe.
Mr. Hogan grew up in Green Bay, Wisconsin in a family of six children. Mr. Hogan worked his way through college and law school. He graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth College in 1989. He was awarded his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1992, where he served as Chief Honor Counsel to the entire university.
After earning his law degree, Mr. Hogan began his career with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, the largest law firm in Philadelphia and one of the largest firms in the nation. He managed complex national litigation, as well as handling sophisticated corporate internal investigations. After six years, Mr. Hogan left private practice to follow his passion -- prosecuting criminals and keeping our families safe.
In 1998, Mr. Hogan joined the Chester County District Attorney’s office. He quickly became one of the most aggressive and dynamic prosecutors in Chester County, trying the toughest cases against the most dangerous criminals.
Mr. Hogan’s duties in the courtroom included working as the District Attorney’s representative for Drug Court, a diversionary program that allows drug offenders to keep their criminal record clean if they complete a rigorous program to beat drug addiction.
As an Assistant District Attorney, Mr. Hogan took the time to establish lasting relationships with our local police, and worked to experience firsthand the pressure and stress of real police work. He went on dawn search warrants at the apartments of drug dealers, patrolled with the Coatesville Police Department, accompanied the police on DUI stops, worked with the police in firearms and tactical training, and graduated from the Top Gun drug training school.
Mr. Hogan’s hard work in the District Attorney’s office did not go unnoticed. He was the first prosecutor from Chester County selected to serve as a federal prosecutor for the United States Department of Justice. Shortly after the terrorist attacks on 9/11, Mr. Hogan was elevated to the position of Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
As an Assistant United States Attorney, Mr. Hogan prosecuted the highest level of criminal cases in the nation. He successfully prosecuted large-scale drug organizations, terrorist cells, corrupt politicians, violent criminals, and white collar fraud schemes. But Mr. Hogan never forgot the importance of Chester County. Working together with federal agents and with Chester County police officers, he created a Chester County Task Force to bring federal cases against the most violent and dangerous criminals in Chester County.
Mr. Hogan received numerous awards from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and local police departments for his work as a federal prosecutor. He also was selected by the Department of Justice to serve as a trial advocacy instructor for federal prosecutors across the United States.
Between his time as a federal prosecutor and his election as District Attorney, Mr. Hogan was a partner with the law firm Lamb McErlane PC in West Chester. There, he represented municipalities, schools, local and national businesses, and individuals. He also handled complex financial litigation matters.
As District Attorney, Mr. Hogan has combined his experience as a federal prosecutor, County prosecutor, and in the private sector to lead the Chester County District Attorney’s Office to the cutting edge of law enforcement. The Chester County law enforcement team and Mr. Hogan have been responsible for the following programs and achievements:
- Created an intensive trial advocacy training program for Chester County prosecutors
- Brought modern grand jury investigative techniques to Chester County, improving the depth of investigations
- Improved forfeiture procedures, making criminals pay for their crimes
- Established standardized homicide investigation protocols and child abuse investigation protocols for all of Chester County
- Initiated a District Attorney’s Drug Unit to coordinate the investigation and prosecution of drug trafficking across the region
- Brought prescription drug disposal boxes to Chester County, helping to protect our children and our environment
- Worked with Chester County legislators to create tough and common sense new anti-gang legislation, enhanced arson penalties, and a Good Samaritan law for people reporting drug overdoses
- Worked with the Chester County Commissioners to expand the capabilities of the Child Abuse Unit and Computer Forensics Unit for the Chester County Detectives
- Established a Critical Incident Response Team to address major emergencies, such as active shooters
- Named Chairman of the Intelligence Committee for the United States Department of Justice’s regional High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area strike force
- Appointed to the executive board of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Institute
- Received awards for his work in the areas of homicides and domestic violence
As a result of this strong teamwork, Chester County continues to have the lowest crime rate in the region and the Chester County District Attorney’s Office has become a model for law enforcement in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Hogan is married with two children. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Chester County Bar Association. Dedicated to his community, Mr. Hogan also serves as a lector at his church, and proudly supports the preservation of open space and historical properties in Chester County.